Sweet treats and foods that are high in sugar are some of our favourite guilty pleasures; leaving taste buds temporarily satisfied but eventually, always craving more. But with a craving for sugar, there’s always the inevitable crash. Promoting inflammation and an imbalance of insulin, sugar can have a negative impact on our overall health. It’s not only impacting your weight and mental health, but high sugar intake is cited as a cause of acne as well!
If you’re tired of consistent breakouts, the culprit may be closer than you think! Learn just how much of an impact sugar has on your complexion and how to stop your cravings.
Sugar’s Negative Impact On Your Skin
Processed sugar causes inflammation throughout the body. This inflammation in the skin leads to a breakdown of normal skin functions. This can exacerbate existing skin conditions such as acne, psoriasis, eczema, and acne. For those with acne skin, this makes it far easier for bacteria to form and linger in your pores. As your blood sugar and the insulin levels in your body spike from sugar intake, inflammation occurs and acne begins to develop. Your skin glands begin to function in overdrive and clog the pores which can negatively affect your complexion. Excess sugar intake can also break down the elastin and collagen in the skin, which also contributes to ageing, sagging and wrinkling the skin.
How To Control Your Sweet Tooth
Completely eliminating sugar out of your diet is easy in theory. Sugar is delicious and addictive, it certainly does not help that it is hidden in virtually all processed foods. Foods with corn syrup, fructose, and dextrose all contain refined sugar. Reducing your sugar intake to stop the cravings starts with the following:
- Drink More Water: Instead of having soft drinks or fruit beverages when you’re dehydrated, opt to drink water. Water benefits every part of your body, especially your skin, which will see the positive results dramatically.
- Choose Herbal Tea: Herbal teas with lemon, cinnamon, cloves, and cardamom both quench your thirst and give you something sweet.
- Choose Fruit: Fruits can satisfy your sweet tooth when those cravings return. Fruits provide fiber, nutrients, and sweetness to your body without the negative effects of sugar.
- Eat Properly: When you are consistently having three meals with two snacks per day, your blood sugar levels will be much more stable than if you’re eating infrequently.
- Get Enough Sleep: If you are not receiving enough or consistent sleep, your body will need energy and often rely on sugar to supply that. Get enough rest to control those sugar cravings.
Azure Skin Care specializes in skin care, massage therapy, body contouring and laser hair removal in Surrey, BC. Our customized facials care for your skin with an understanding of your needs and our microdermabrasion treatments are serum and mask that replenishes and smooth skin. We are committed to providing our patients with professional, quality spa services to provide you with the best self-care. Book an appointment at our spa.